How to hire a graduate for a Software Development role
A logical thinker with basic computer science skills and a passion for code. They should be a perfectionist with great attention to detail and very patient - bugs and design glitches will occur frequently no matter the company so it’s important the candidate can remain calm and work under pressure. It’s also important that the candidate is able to work well as part of a team with the ability to write clear instructions and reports for other team members.
Candidate must have a degree in Engineering, Computer Science or other related field. They should be familiar with at least one programming language and operating systems. These languages evolve and change over time but at the moment some of the popular languages include C++, C#, Java, Lisp, Python.
- Logical & structured thinking
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to learn
- Time management
- If the candidate has been involved with projects at university which required them to develop their programming skills and coding then this is valuable.
- Any creative hobbies - putting software together is a creative process so a candidate should be able to think outside the box when designing programs.
- Any relevant experience is valuable - this could be in the form of a placement year as part of their degree or part-time work within an IT field.
- If the candidate has volunteered their skills to a charity or local business and it has helped them increase their knowledge of a computer language then this is valuable too.
- A curious individual who is willing to learn and is passionate about what they do.
- Someone who is sloppy and lacks attention to detail - so much bad coding is down to developers who haven’t taken the time to do what they should have done.
- Ask the candidate to review and write some basic code either before or during the interview. This is the best test!
- It’s also good to ask how the candidate about their favourite programming language and what they like about it to get a sense whether their passion for coding is real or not.
TalentPool is the leading platform for start-up and SME graduate jobs. Over 500 employers have used TalentPool to access top graduates who are engaged and the perfect fit for their roles
© GradList Ltd. 2017