How to hire a graduate for a Sales role
A highly confident, target-driven and energetic individual with excellent communication skills and ambition.
Sales is largely based on personality, skills and attitude so degree type is not important.
- Rapport building
- Speaking on the phone
- Front of house or retail work will have provided good experience in building up communication skills and conversing with clients.
- If the candidate has been a captain or member of the sports team this is likely to show that the candidate has the competitive edge required for a sales role.
- Someone who has worked since a young age is likely to have a good work ethic and drive.
- Previous experience in sales is a huge bonus! Remember that graduates are very adaptable and can be trained up quickly though so this is not essential.
- Experience in telesales, customer service or account management are a good indicator since it shows that the candidate has experience in building rapport with clients.
- Any experience in marketing or advertising means that the candidate has experience in selling a product.
- Someone who is results orientated and enjoys speaking on the phone
- A candidate who lacks confidence and crumbles under pressure
- You should be looking to test the candidate’s selling ability and confidence by asking them to sell you a product in the interview - you can be as imaginative as you like here! Don’t expect their pitch to be perfect though - you’re looking to see how well candidates react under pressure and how persuasive they are naturally.
- It’s also common to ask your candidates to give an example of a time they persuaded someone to do something they weren’t initially planning on doing.
- Aim to ask questions that will show a candidate’s persistence and resilience (or lack of), as these are key attributes needed in order to succeed in this role. Ask them quick-fire questions and put them under pressure.
← Research & Analytics
Software Development →
TalentPool is the leading platform for start-up and SME graduate jobs. Over 500 employers have used TalentPool to access top graduates who are engaged and the perfect fit for their roles
© GradList Ltd. 2017