How to hire a graduate for a Legal role
A quick thinking, motivated and sharp individual with good commercial awareness who is a great communicator. They should be a quick learner, discreet and know how to remain calm under pressure. A candidate looking to pursue their law career at a smaller company will either have studied Law at university or done an internship at a top law firm but decided they don’t want to go down the traditional route and apply for a training contract.
Typically the candidate will have done a Humanities or Law degree with a strong result, minimum 2:1.
- Written & verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Research & analytical
- Problem solving
- Any experience which has required the candidate to hone their communication skills e.g. working with or learning a foreign language, writing for a university newspaper, volunteer work, being a member of a sports team or a debating society.
- If the candidate balanced extra-curricular activities with a strong academic record at university this indicates that they have good time management skills.
- Any experience in the legal industry would certainly be beneficial.
- Experience where the candidate has had to use their research or analytical skills is also a plus.
- Any experience such as a customer service or sales support roles that has required the candidate to work to deadlines, and to manage and deal with clients in a professional capacity.
- Someone who has taken the time to research your company and is aware of current current business developments in your industry.
- Spelling and grammar mistakes in their application - this shows a lack of attention to detail.
- Ask them about a time that they had to build a rapport with a difficult person or a time they had to deal with a personality conflict with a colleague or classmate - this will give a good insight into their people skills.
- You could set them a short task to carry out during the interview to see how well they do under time pressure - this could be something simple like proofreading a document or anything similar that relates to the kind of work they will be doing.
TalentPool is the leading platform for start-up and SME graduate jobs. Over 500 employers have used TalentPool to access top graduates who are engaged and the perfect fit for their roles
© GradList Ltd. 2017